Thursday, April 24, 2014

Shock

 Love this quote. Links to my blog post about overcoming fear of the unknown.

I recently stumbled upon a film which raised my curiosity a bit. Why are we shocked by things we don't actually understand? For example, if I'm pulled up next to someone at a red light and they are blaring something with a loud bass beat from their car, I sometimes loath the next few minutes  I have to wait until the light changes green. Mainly because I assume at least some profanity will soon back it up. Or if someone walks into a meeting and has sneakers with holes in them, shirt torn, smelling bad- shocked yes, but why, the appearance? Sadly, it's true. We completely bypass anything or any senecio in our heads, along with myself.

Did the car next to me have any hard core crap come out it's window? No. It was actually a hard core Christine group, believe it or not, rocking out. I went from shocked, to just accepting I didn't get it, I didn't need to,  and apparently the folks who listen to it do, and all is well. Same with the appearance. I have, and I know I'm not alone, been or have judged things mentally because I was indeed shocked by something I did not even try to know or even wanted to try. Never taking in that perhaps there's a reason for this or can I help?

My point is, as we've grown up, so have our values, logic, and human condition. It has also stayed completely still with no desire for understanding or accepting.

Now, to each their own, however, the brain does likes to learn and expand. It can be whatever, the key is to learn instead of having these pre-formulated thoughts. Will it be your cup of tea? Maybe not, maybe so, but at least you know though, and all is well.

I was in this religion class in high school which was mandatory. The thought of this class was completely unappealing to me because I thought it would be an entire hour of someone just dictating what and how I should believe,pray, and worship a certain way. To much surprise, I was wrong. The entire class was about learning the different religions in the world and appreciating them. They may not be what I or you believe, but there are a certain group of  people out there that do. It was learning to appreciate and respect these different religions without placing our own judgement on them or turning our noses up at them because we didn't understand them.

After that class, I sort of got it. Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint, I have my moments, but they are WAY less heavier then they used to be. I mean they should be, because all is well.

Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment