Monday, January 23, 2017

Words can sting can't they?



"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Unless you've been living under a rock, you should have heard this expression. My grandmother told it to my mom who eventually told it to me. Growing up, that saying was always in the back of my head. I'd think about it when I was at the playground and some kid would say something mean to me. I would also think about it whenever I'd go to auditions, and not get cast because I didn't have the right "look" or whatever the casting directors didn't like. No matter where I was in life, and no matter what anyone said, I could always go back to that saying and be ok for a bit.


In our everyday lives, there are different things we hear that we're able to let go of. And there are other things we hear that aren't. Maybe the older you get, the easier it may become... or maybe not. I'm certainly becoming more sensitive with certain things I hear. Personally, I'm finding it just a little harder at times to just let it go.

Just because words don't leave physical bruises or scars, they can leave lasting mental and emotional ones. As my parents say "That's the thing about words. Once they're out there, you can never take them back". Have you ever found it difficult to remember what you wore to school or work two weeks ago? Yet, have you ever found it easier to remember something hurtful someone said to you almost six years ago? ... yup ... still with you.


Now look, not all things people say to you or about you is warranted. Those words could be brought on by a slew of things like jealousy, false information, anger taken out on you (hunger and a bad mood are weak excuses), love, stress, etc. Then there are those times when we are in the wrong. When that happens, we get the authoritative, truthful, and sometimes "hard to swallow" words. The words where you feel attacked and ask "how could they", but when you're in the wrong, shouldn't those words be validated? Sure you may not agree with what is being said, but again it was YOU that is in the wrong.


Words can hurt, they can sting, they can burn, they can effect. That's the big thing to remember, they can effect. Think twice when saying something, be wise about the words you put out. There is another person on the other side of them. If you were the ear receiving them and not the mouth saying them, how would you take them? The choice is yours.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment