Thursday, September 11, 2014

Drama...ain't nobody got time for that



I'll never forget my first tour of the theater and dance building at USM (University of Southern Mississippi, my alum mater) I took.

That day, everyone planing on attending/incoming freshman, were split up in groups, and given a tour of the building. All of the seniors in the department were individually giving tours to different groups.

John Croc was our tour guide senior tour. After he had showed us the entire department, all the odds and ends, he asked if there were any questions we wanted to ask. One of the guys in our group looked at him and asked, "yeah...if you could give us any advice before coming in here, what would you give us?" John paused before he spoke, then he looked up very profoundly and said, "don't talk to anyone". I got what he meant right away. The minute he said those words, it mapped out my entire college experience.

Now, when he said, "don't talk to anyone", he didn't mean that we should just shut off any and everyone around us. What he meant, was that since we were in a drama department, and drama naturally follows along with it, not to share your personal business to everyone in the department. Keep your own life and drama to yourself. I stuck by that my entire college career, and let me tell you, it was by far, the BEST piece of advice I got during that time. My college experience pretty much remained drama free.

Drama, it's great on stage, in movies, books, and television shows. Drama played out in our daily lives...mmmm...not so much. I'll be honest, I do enjoy listening to it, but I try not to invite it in my life.

I've closely hit on this subject before (hints my guilty pleasure for the reality housewives shows on Bravo). Perhaps the reason I bring it up again is because, drama can very easily repeat it self. Different forms, but it happens. Which is why we have all these quotes and fantastic sayings about it: "No drama for yo mama", "Don't be such a drama queen", "this is a drama free zone", etc.

I noticed something very interesting when I was looking at all these different little quotes and saying's.
Drama?
“Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask: ‘Why me?’ Then a voice answers: ‘Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up.’” from A Boy Named Charlie Brown (1969, dir. Bill Melendez)
Obvious choice, but not the one I'm talking about. Though drama is involved, that's not it. All these things talk about NOT wanting or inviting drama in, and yet drama still comes along anyway . I love the irony of that.

Some folks thrive off of drama. They love it. Others like to keep it to themselves. Personally, I like keeping mine on screen or on the stage, also, pretty close to home. Guess that's just the kind of gal I am.

So, be you a drama inviter, lover, seeker, refuser, whatever, just remember the ones that have to endear it around you. You may be ok with your actions, and throw yourself in their shoes and think how it may effect them as well as yourself.

Last time I checked, a good life is a happy one.

 Smiling Dog ~ Nothing like a photo of a smiling dog to make me smile. He’s like the Mona Lisa of dogs!

Nicole









No comments:

Post a Comment