Saturday, August 30, 2014

Six years





On August 30, 2008 I fell six stories from the roof of my New York apartment building. Six years ago today,  I was found in an air shaft, I was a Jane Doe in a hospital, and I was looked at as a patient that may not make it through the night.

It's a little surreal writing these words. Surreal because, well, I almost died, and yet my heart is still beating. This almost feels like an out of body experience. 

Sad, mad, and regretful are three things I'm not. Mainly because I was able to keep this precious life a little longer. Not to mention, if this happened to me to prevent anything from happening to anyone I care about or love, then I count my lucky stars that it was me and not them. The "why me" and "what ifs" left my brain a long long time ago. 



I feel we take our lives for granted. Including myself. When this life of ours gets interrupted by major events, physically, emotionally, financially, and whatever else, we take it pretty hard. We forget though that our own hearts are still beating.  That to me is the hardest of things to do. The fact that it still is, just means that the hardest part is over, and everything else is our paths are just peanuts compared to that.



You may not agree with my statement, but those are my feelings. Some people get this golden light of life, and this golden light isn't through until it's through, taking the good, the bad, and the ugly with it.

I say this just to open your eyes a bit. Embrace the roller coaster ride of life. You only get one.




Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment