Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Don't be afraid


Hello Wednesday!

In the words of Price, the artist formerly known as Prince, and Prince, why do we scream at each other?...Because this is what it sounds like when doves cry.

During my high school, and college career I found myself in situations where I was a little bit of a follower. What I mean is that I may have met someone that I really liked, even befriended, but because majority of the people around me got more of a laugh out of that person than trying to get to know them or be their friend, I would in turn laugh with everyone else and secretly keep the friendship I had started behind closed doors. It was hypocritical and mean. I realize that now, but at the time it just seemed easier to laugh with everyone else then to stand up and defend.

So why do we laugh at each other? Sometimes people do do things that are hilarious but there is a big difference between laughing with someone and laughing at them. Plus,  it doesn't really make you look good. In a way, I felt sort of dirty, here I have this meaningful friendship with this person, swapping life stories, feelings, allowing and trusting one another with our inner most fears, passions, etc. Only to turn around and pretend those meaningful moments never happened, laughing and pointing fingers with everyone else just to avoid the finger be pointed at me. The irony is, I'm sure I was laughed and pointed at just the same by others.

Friendships come and go. Cherish each one which has brought joy and meaning into your life. Who cares what other people think? They don't know what you know, and they haven't even tried to get to know or understand what you know about that person. However, if it is a toxic friendship, I'd get out of that ASAP. Instead, fight for your right to preserve your friendships. You two crossed each other's paths for a reason. That's all that matters.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment