Monday, October 6, 2014

The kindness of strangers


Ever heard that quote -

“I always rely/depend on the kindness of strangers.”

 Let's be honest, kindness is something that is very 50/50. I'm sure a situation has occurred where you have been in need of a little extra help, there are people around you seeing you need help, yet no one does. Or perhaps you've been in a situation where you saw someone who looked like they were in need of a little extra help, but you bypassed them because you had a pre conceived notion about them. Back to my point, kindness is very 50/50 with us.


Kindness is something I love, especially when it's between and shared with total strangers. Luckily, there are a plethora of videos on YouTube showing kindness between strangers, family members, friends, and then some.

One of the best parts of kindness is that your doing and giving from the heart. Not because you think you can get something out of it, or so you can brag about it so people can know your a good person, or because you want to look good like some kind of hero. No, no...you do it from the heart without any expectations other than just being able to help.

I've had my share at unkind moments. Moments I'm mad at myself for, and some I learned a great deal from. So, rather then being stuck in the past and filled with regret, I'd like to move forward with my experiences and use them in a positive light. I have learned, grown, and can handle kindness the way I want and should.

People I pass randomly on a day to day basses, is actually loads of fun for me. For example, I'll be in the grocery store and see some women with a great pair of shoes, so I let her know,  "excuse me, those are great shoes". The look I get back is always one of two things. One, an honest sincere thank you and a smile that says,  "I feel good about myself", or  they say thank you, and give me this look that says "ok, crazy lady".

When I'm on the phone with an agent about a bank statement that messed up, or something I bought that broke right away, or having to call customer service for whatever, I always try to be nice. Think about it, they have to deal with disgruntled customers all day. Having someone actually be nice about their problems makes things much more easier for them, for you, and usually whatever your calling about can get resolved much faster.

I know you've all heard the saying "kindness, pass it on". Well, there is something to that. You get back what you give. Share kindness, expect nothing, and who knows what kind of a world you'll enter. I can tell you though, from first hand experience, it's a pretty awesome world to be apart of. 

Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment