Monday, October 13, 2014

Influenced

 

When I was a kid, my mother introduced me to this cartoon called Jem and the Holograms. 


The cartoon was about, according to Wikipedia and myself,"a music company owner Jerrica Benton, her singer alter-ego Jem, her band the Holograms, and their adventures." Of course, there is much more to it then you think, and you can read about on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jem_%28TV_series%29

You know, as kids, what we saw, smelled, tasted, and learned molded us into the people we are and will still become. I remember watching this show as a kid and was just in awe. One specific part of this show that I loved, as did many other viewers, was that Jem and the Holograms would always sing a different song each episode. Now, as a kid, I loved the songs because they had a fun beat, you could rock out to them, and they were easy to sing along with. It wasn't until I got a little older, that I learned that many of the lyrics to each song had some kind of a positive message to them. Like this one. Here's a quick excert:


Friend or stranger
Everyone needs a helpin' hand, now and then
Friend or stranger
They need someone who'll understand
To listen at them
Help them choose a way to go
Point them to the light
Someone who will brighten up their darkest night
And say it's all right 


There were of course songs that were specifically geared towards girls and being girly, but there was also a handful of songs that had extremely positive and  uplifting messages behind them.

Only the Beginning


Going back and remembering how much this simple girl group cartoon influenced me and just really inspired was a yrI read an article that the music was in the cartoon mainly to just add to the storyline. Little did those creators know how influential there music and lyrics would become. 

Ok, that was my geek out for Monday.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment