Friday, May 2, 2014

"Love thy neighbor"


Watch this, you'll see what I mean

I love people. I love meeting new people. I especially enjoy striking up a conversation with complete strangers. Now mind you, not everyone I come across has the same excitement I do when it comes to chit chat, but I look at it as a challenge and one I'm ready to tackle.

Have you ever seen in commercials or read in a magazine that slogan that goes, "Kindness. Spread it around?" I think that's a pretty powerful statement. Same as "love thy neighbor as you would love thy own self."

I was so fascinated with that quote and its meaning, I started doing research on it. Did you know that in over 20 different religions have a version of "love thy neighbor as you would love thy own self?" In other words, this statement is 100% universal. However, do we all play it out? We both know the answer to this question, and sadly it starts with an N...no.

It's our jobs as humans to grow together. Make this place in which we live more harmonious. That's not always the case, but it's possible.

When I had my fall in New York, I was on the ground for eight hours before being discovered. I was found by the superintendent of my building. He could have just seen me lying there, and thought, "I'm not messing with that," but instead, he went next door and called 911. He and I are from two opposite sides of the tracks. But we have something in common, we're human and if we see someone in need, we help. That's what we would want if it were the other way around.

So, you are your own person, you will make your own decisions, but try paying it forward. "Love thy neighbor as you would love thy own self." Karma can  be a good thing, or it can be a killer. Imagine being in the shoes of those you pass by. Most importantly- would you like YOU if you saw how you act towards others? Strangers? Just a little something to think about.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment