Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I'll sleep when I'm dead

Have you ever noticed that dogs and cats have funny sleeping habits? Some can just sleep on and off all day and stay perfectly calm throughout. Others find time to sleep, but for the most part stay awake as much as possible because they don't want to miss anything. You gotta admire that level of commitment.

We as humans need sleep. In fact the human body needs exactly, well, just check out the chart below:

How Much Sleep Do You Really Need

Everyone out there is guilty of oversleeping. I'll be the first to admit it. Just know though, when you oversleep the problems that could develop aren't that great. Oversleeping can lead to back pain, depression, heart disease, even death. Just check out http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/physical-side-effects-oversleeping and read along. You 'll see, I'm not just making this stuff up. Not to mention, you totally waste away beautiful days and amazing moments.

If I slept all day, in one way it would feel kinda nice. But on the other hand, I slept all day. Which means, the day is now gone. I'll never get that day back again. There isn't some sort of rewind button I can press. When the day is over that means it's over. It's gone forever. No re-dos.

By not sleeping all day, your day is open to so many possibilities. Think about it. You are now susceptible to new adventures, situations, random moments that can lead to who knows what. The whole day is a blank canvas just waiting to be painted on.

If you are one of those people that pre determine the outcome of things or are already putting a negative spine on it from the get go, well then I say- STOP. By predetermining what your day is already going to look like be it good or bad you've already set yourself up for a let down. You've already set expectations that if they are not met, will led to sever disappointment. On top of that, by already putting a negative spine on your day, even if it turns out to be pretty good one, it won't be because you've claimed it won't. So the parts of the day that were good won't matter. You've put it in your head they won't. Such a pity.

When you have decided to greet the day, decided to be alive and enter the land of the living, the first step in your day has just begun.

Sometimes I feel silly for waking up at the early hours, I do. I don't necessarily have a choice. Mainly because I have a series of stretches and exercises to do first before I really even get started. Sometimes after I'm done I'll just go back to bed for a bit. But when I don't. Oh! It is on. I'm able to see the sunrise,
 Cielo de Turquia
 Sunrise
As The Sky Exploded (Explored #60)
there are parts of the day that when you look up at the sky, you can see a masterpiece.
clouds

clouds
 And seasons! I, and hopefully you as well, get to witness the seasons! Since its fall, trust me. You don't want to miss out on that.
fall trees autumn leaves
24 Stunning Photos of Pets in Fall FoliageAn Australian Shepherd plays with the falling leaves. Photo Credit: Shutterstock *Click to see 24 Stunning Photos of Pets in Fall Foliage
So, waking up isn't the easiest to do sometimes, but once you've experienced the day, you have plenty of motivation to wake up. Perhaps see what new adventures may lay ahead of you. It's expecting the unexpected.

One of my favorite quotes I heard when I was young and still use today goes like this:

"I'll sleep when I'm dead. I don't want to miss a thing"

Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment