Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Getting into the swing

Sadly, not much action has been going on this week. Mississippi is beginning to feel the first stage of winter. The sun has been trying to hide behind an overcast sky then deciding to peer it's head through. I was in the bank the other day expressing to the teller that I was confused as to feel about the weather. Happy because the sun was out, or curl up with a book because the sun was lost in a cold overcast sky. Her reply, "It's Mississippi weather", meaning it is so unpredictable. Mother nature doesn't really know how to make up her mind in this state.

On the flip side, my doctor wrote me a prescription to get more occupational therapy & physical therapy. What a great guy. I have this device called BIONESS which is a machine for my hands. They don't exactally work 100% yet, but they're getting there. What this device does, is it sends messages to my brain and nerves reminding them how to work properly. Mine went on the fritz a few months ago and my hands have lacked the stimulation they need. After I informed my doctor of this, he said we didn't need my hands to be reversed from the progress we had made so occupational therapy was in order until my BIONESS is repaired. So now it's back to therapy. I'm actually working with the same therapist who helped me first use them.
                                       
                                         This is Ashlee the OT & I being serious with the BIONESS

and this is when we play

Starting Monday, it was back to work with exercises, scheduling, and an evaluation of the state my hands were in. Fun times. Today, Ashlee made me do some stuff involving resistance. I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't my favorite thing, but I knew it was helping, so might as well keep it up. By the end, I was feeling the burn. However, I still wasn't done yet.

Physical therapy time! I'm also working with the same PT I worked with before. Which is good and better. She knows me, and knows I like to work hard. In other words, she doesn't hold back. Some tough exercises were ahead. Squats, leg lifts, that machine that simulates you walking up stairs. Funny as this may sound, it felt wonderful, but the best was saved for last. Abs! I was told to lay down on this matt and lift my shirt. I was a little apprehensive, but all was ok. Two pads were attached to my stomach which were also attached to this machine. Basically, it was shocking my abs. Cool right?

As it closer to the end, the shocks were getting a little intense

 You can't tell because I have that face, but I actually feel great. Therapy was awesome. The ball is rolling and needs to keep rolling :)

Nicole

1 comment: