Tuesday, June 10, 2014

"Tap, tap, tapping at my chamber door..."


Edgar Allen Poe. Ever heard of him? If not, I'll give you the cliff notes. He was a poet/author of the 18th century. Majority of his works were rather dark. Excellent reading on a gloomy rainy day in my opinion. It really sets the mood. Anyway, as the tap, tap, tapping of rain drops hit the glass on the windows in my house, I can't help but think of some of his works.


As for my sweet pups, Roxie & Chicago (Roxie a boxer mix and Chicago a bagel) they are having their own internal Poe moment. Each is desperate to go outside to use the restroom, only they are petrified of the sound of rain. No use using an umbrella for help because both are scared of the noise from the rain tapping on the umbrella and refuse to relieve themselves until the rain stops. I must admit, that is some serious dedication. 

It is rather comical though. It's just rain. Water dropping from the sky to the earth below. Water. It's just water, and yet, it scares the living daylights out of my dogs. If you stop and think about it, their situation is very similar to the those we play out in everyday life.

See, all my dogs have to do, is just take that first step venturing out into the rain to realize that there's really nothing to be afraid of. However, for them, this first step seems nearly impossible to do. Sound familiar?

As we go through life, there are many first steps we are absolutely terrified to make, and rightfully so. Regardless of what that step is, it's up to us, and nobody else, to do it. Once we do get the courage to take that first step, it could be a good or bad sort of outcome. Either way, after we make that first step, we then are left with the knowledge of knowing that we did it. Finally that pesky voice in our head stops going over and over again about the what " if's". We don't need the what " if's" because we got our answer. Even if we don't like it, at least we know.

Throughout our lives we're going to be faced with many situations all about taking that "first step". Many times you'll back down, mainly because you've already predetermined that you won't be able to do it and sometimes you'll be right. Though, sometimes you'll be wrong. After all, how will you really know if you never even tried?

I, would much rather know I couldn't do something then obsessively racking my brain thinking maybe I could. Hints, the "what if". 

Venturing into the unknown can be scary, but the pay off is knowing you did it and if it worked for you or if it didn't. As for now, I'm curling up with my book of Poe stories and...wait...well looks like my dogs had a pretty good idea of what I was writing...their both by the door ready to go into the rain to use the bathroom! 

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment