Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How I love staying busy!

About three years ago, I was talking with my friend, Talameika, and the topic of our conversation went a little something like this; "I'm just SO ready for something to start happening." At the time we were both pretty bored with the work we were doing, or not doing. Now, three years after that conversation, I'm running around, travelling, telling my story, and I couldn't be happier! In other words, I'm busy and I've been staying busy with a smile across my face. Talamieka and her husband, Charles, are now extremely busy with their new business, Brice Media, where they do graphic design work, illustration, and photography! They are pretty great at what they do! If you want to check out some of their work just take a look at my website.. the opening image was done by Brice Media, along with the majority of photos in my gallery!
I know that I've neglected this blog and I thought I would give you some insight as to why. So now that we're all caught up.. I've got some pretty amazing news that I'd like to share with everyone. It's a new year, time for change, and time for reinvention. Which is exactly what I'm doing now. I just told you I'm speaking, yes. But what else do I really do?
I am in the business of hope. I've found the key that I've been searching for to unlock useful information for other people like me, but it can translate to every day life as well. I've been asked by many people, "So have you always had this positive attitude? Like, how did you get through it? I wish I had what you have." The thing is, you DO have what I have. Have I always been this positive? No, I'm not sub human, I have emotions and good days and bad days just like everyone else. I just choose to have more better days than bad. Everyone has a choice when they wake up in the morning: Good day or bad day? When you've gone through a traumatic accident, the world you once knew seems so foreign. Everything has changed over night. Building blocks that you've stacked up, year after year, that made you who you are, have been knocked back down to square one. Now is the time that you can go one of two ways. From the minute I had my accident, I knew I had a long road ahead of me. I had to suck up my pride and I knew that it was going to be a very tough, long road. In the end I knew I could do it and I was prepared to do it with a smile.
When you suffer something like I have, a spinal cord injury (SCI), nobody knows what you're going through but you. That's step one. Acknowledging. Step two: How are you going to handle it? This goes back to my positiveness. I chose to handle mine, without a fight. I knew that eventually, things were going to get better. The proof is in the pudding.. and my life has gotten SO much better. It wasn't going to happen over night, but with good work comes results. There are still mountains, I have yet to climb; and there are still roads that I may never go down. For every road I won't be able to go down, I find a new path to lead me in a new direction, and so can you.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment